View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 04:36 AM   #8
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: ScapeFX v1.1.2 now with MCCP

True, but most clients are marketed at players, while yours is specifically marketed at mud owners. I don't recommend zmud/cmud to my players either, but I know that a few of them use it - however from my understanding of your client, players can't even use it to connect to my mud unless I explicitly add it.

First-time players are unlikely to go to a muds website and start clicking all the vote links, at least not until they've decided they like the mud. My concern with the ad version is that new players will be shown large 10-second animated adverts for rival muds before they can even connect to my game for the first time.

Attracting new players is hard work. Your easy-to-use flashy client could definitely help attract new players, but if the first thing they see is an advert for another game I could well end up losing more players than I gained. In fact it strikes me that buying advertising space could actually be a more effective way of attracting new players than licencing the client.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote