View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Re: What's new with LPC? And mudmaker.com comment

Mind you, while I haven't looked recently, the trend last I did check was towards database driven systems with a lot of the game mechanics pre-built, which imho defeats the purpose of using something like LPC in the first place, instead of a higher level language, since you can't change the mechanics anyway. Others seem to be looking at replacing it entirely, to get some newer language features, but many of them may be going to hard coded mechanics too, just to make later development easier. Mostly I gave up looking when I couldn't find a server that could load the same library that the mud I played at used, would do it reliably, actually ran under Windows (since I am **not** dual booting just to run a damn game) and used a more rational configuration system (that, and mistranslated unix file names, being the reason 90% of the windows ones fail to work right, at least when using any *pure* LPC mud, instead of the database driven ones like Smaug).

Maybe when I finally get my new router into the network, some stuff rearranged to use it and better internet access via that router (instead of just using it to network), I will play with things some more. But, the trend seem to be split between those that think "improvement" is locking down features, like combat code and character data, to "simplify" things, and the purists who if you suggest that the current development tools for pure LPC systems suck will start screaming about unix prompts and how simple it really is to do, "ghf bah spork nymph", to perform some critical function, or some similarly incomprehensible gibberish, while missing the point that its a pain in the ass to have to do that. lol
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote