View Single Post
Old 07-02-2002, 02:48 PM   #21
Pasano

Pasano is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Pasano
My take on this is as follows. Paying builders sets a dangerous precident for free muds.

I realize and respect that as an admin, you want to give your players the highest quality possible, and I realize that you're willing to make personal sacrafice in the name of that high quality, by paying out of your own pocket.

Most other muds would not be willing to do such things, and if a few places start paying.... everyone might start expecting it. I'm looking to put together a mud in the near future, and I'd hate to go into it, write a few zillion lines of code, and then pay someone to build. Also. If I hire out coders, are they as well going to demand salary? What about quest immortals? This becomes dangerous, because it might create an environment where others who contribute feel taken for granted. And if coders start asking for $50 a skill/spell or questers start demanding $10 a quest, you've got a big problem.

Simply tell your players/builders this: If you do this work, and do it well, I will make it worth your time and effort. Don't say how. Deal with it case by case and make sure it stays between yourself and each induvidual.

Usually, you can probably pay them off within the game itself, depending on the structure of the game, with experience, IC-money or IC-power. Most players will respect the fact that certain people who contribute to the growth and well-being of the game are rewarded. For the few who feel alienated by it, at least the specifics are not rubbed in their faces.

Beyond that, I've got about 10 minutes of building experience, but drop me a line. I'm sure I can learn the ins and outs of it in another 10 minutes and assuming I like your game, I'd probably be more than thrilled to come on and do some building. I might not build an area a week but I'd definately do quality work.
Pasano is offline   Reply With Quote