View Single Post
Old 11-30-2003, 10:48 PM   #21
Quicksilver

Quicksilver is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver
Angry

Hmmm.
In cases like this it is very hard to sort things out, but, being a thread by Admins about dealing with disgruntled players, I'd like to make some observations, based off of Soljax's post.

Unfortunately, the actual situation within his mud which caused Amnon to start this thread has no bearing on the thread itself. Exploring ways of preventing the situation from occurring again does.  The only solutions seem like bailing a boat with a fork. It is easy to ban someone, even with dynamic IP's. But, it is impossible to stop them from being heard if they wish to complain. I think the best damage control is handling the aftermath in a mature, non-judgmental fashion, and especially to avoid being dragged into a flame war. That will only encourage them more, and raise your stress levels.
Soljax- Muddying the issue by continuing your argument here only serves to erode any position you might have.  You are better served to create a new thread and discuss it there. I'm not trying to minimise any feelings you have on the subject. I'm just suggesting you might get a better discussion of it if it's in the proper place for it. This thread has actually stayed on topic for 2 pages so far, which is remarkable in and of itself.
On an aside, I think this thread should probably have started in the Administrators Forum, as it does address problems encountered in the day to day running of a mud.  Damage control is a very little discussed topic.  In some cases it can actually cause more problems to try fixing/stopping people bad mouthing you than it can to simply let them jabber on and possibly impeach their own statements.

--QS
(who has many things she'd love to take issue with, but would rather see more exploration of the original subject, dealing with Dynamic IP's & Damage control.)

>>Edited to restore paragraphs on dealing with damage control. Bad ctrl-x. Naughty ctrl-x.)
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote