View Single Post
Old 08-02-2006, 09:10 AM   #57
Jeena

Jeena is on a distinguished road
For myself, RP once held such an appeal that I played MUshes. However, I found the very tight restrictions on ic/ooc to be tiresome and eventually after a couple of storylines played out, the game become repetitive.  The one or two RP MuDs I played just seemed pale in comparison. The ic/ooc enforcement didn't make sense in the context of leveling (like killing bunnies to xp) or other npc interaction. Of course, admitted, it's been some years since I played an RP mud, so maybe it has changed.
In Medievia, the real interaction is with other players, either as cooperative groups, or as rivals and enemies. There is no need for RP, as rivalries and competition between groups (clans/towns) can become incredibly intense, as well as the teamwork developed between players.
The interesting thing about the Newbie system in place is that the further along you go, the more becomes available to you.  This is true in most games, where you must gain strength, ability,  and knowledge in order to succeed. I'm sure there may be some appeal to having equipment, stats, and everything else handed to you from the first day you log in, however, in a game where team play counts for a lot, development is an important part of the game.
There was a comment about 4 classes and only one race. This is done specifically to get a handle on balance issues. Balancing one race versus balancing 5, 6, or 8 is easier. Balancing 4 classes, versus any more is also easier. It allows the game to focus on new equipment and the means to aqcuire it with less (but still vital) concern for balance. Every class has advantages and disadvantages. The one you wind up with as a Hero, will determine your role in group activities, your ability to pk, and to do other things in the game, either solo or as a form.
While I don't knock the great many choices of class and race that I've seen on other muds for balance Medievia is very successful, and continually tweaking equipment to ensure that balance is maintained.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that Medievia is different. Love it or hate it, many people play it, many more have tried it, and many more will try it in the future.
The key for any mud to be successful (in my mind anyway) is service to the player, a well-thought out newbie system, a large enough player base to keep the game from becoming boring, constant growth, change, and finally balance.
I'm sure that anyone out there who is running any sizeable mud will agree.
Jeena is offline   Reply With Quote