Thread: Why so bitter?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2003, 06:54 AM   #48
Mason

Mason is on a distinguished road
I can't help but respond to this post - simply because of its condescending nature.  

I'm not defending the use of the word 'steal' in any context.  However, I think we all understand that the term was used figuratively, not literally.  As such, your 'oh-so-clever' analysis fails to shed any light on this subject - as from your tone I deduce you hoped it would.

This is where I start to get annoyed.  

You assert that if a mud is free they wouldn't care about losing players (or not attracting as many new ones as before).  However, had you really attempted to think about this you might have wondered why someone built their mud and posted it TMS in the first place.  Maybe it was because they wanted to attract players?  If this is the case, and I think it is safe to assume so, why would they not, at the very least, be somewhat concerned by competition - whether from free or p2p muds.

Your "need" analysis makes no sense at all.  If need was the determinative factor then what would be the point of voting?  Why not just have every IMP on each mud write a letter to Synozeer each week explaining why they need the top spot over other Muds?  Instead of the top 20 vote-getters, we could have the top 20 neediest muds.

If it has gotten to the point where p2p muds must justify their activities by claiming a "need" for the top spot, then it must appear their arguments are intellectually bankrupt.  However, I doubt anyone would resort to such an argument, as it would appear unbelievably shallow and transparent.

Finally, it appears Achaea et al were doing quite well before they started listing on TMS - how much of a need, in the strictest sense, could they therefore actually have?  And, if their need is that great, they are always welcome to pay for advertisements (those who do not do so already).

*Please note that my post was not directed at any MUD in particular
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote