View Single Post
Old 06-06-2002, 11:44 PM   #36
funkalicious

funkalicious is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to funkalicious Send a message via MSN to funkalicious
Currently, in my mud, people can include colors in their tell, say, and other such commands using the colorcodes of circlemud, &R for red &B for blue and such. so...

say &RRed text hurts my &Wwhite eyes

would turn up as

hmm...cant figure out how to do colored text....but you get the idea.

I wanted to ban this, and have the &X strings be literal, and not translated into color. However, my other half implementor was dead-set against this, saying that he loves color, and he finds it as a form of self expression.

I have also seen builders transform our normally yellow room descriptions into a myriad of blinding color, simply unfair to the eye, but my other half wont allow me to block that either, stating (very rightly) that it can allways be taken out when the zone is reviewed. Again, he says this is a form of self expression.

Does this strike anybody else as self expression? Can you not express yourself without annoying colors? As a counter argument, I see the colors that I program my mud to be as a form of my own self expression, which I dont want the players to be messing with. After all, anything that a player sees on my mud reflects on the aesthetic feeling of the mud, which I work hard to generate with my preset colors. Should I allow players to mess with my carfully set scheme, or is that an impedement to their self expression? (do we even need self expression on muds...? but thats a different topic.) Some answers would be cool of all you lovely people.
funkalicious is offline   Reply With Quote